WHAT IS A DISCOVERY GROUP?
Discovery Groups use a simple method of reading, obeying and sharing Scripture that helps:
- Non-believers to discover what the Bible says about life's big questions and become disciples who, even at a relatively early stage, obey Jesus’ command to make disciples.
- Believers to develop a Biblical worldview and lifestyle and grow in obedience to God's Word, including Jesus’ command to make disciples.
A general overview is provided below. Discovery Groups are a key component in our Discipleship Path. To learn more about starting a DG with family, friends and people who aren't yet followers of Jesus, contact Anne Jordan, or Amy Cole, .
WATCH INTRO VIDEO
DISCOVERY GROUP FORMAT
- What are you thankful for?
- What are you stressed about or struggling with?
- Is there anything this group can do to help with those challenges, or is there any other need we can meet together?
- Have 2 people read the Scripture passage out loud, ideally in 2 different translations.
- Have at least one person retell it in their own words (let the group fill in any other important details).
- What does this passage teach us about God?
- What does this passage teach us about people?
- What should you do this week in response to this passage? “I will…” obedience/action statement.
- Who should you share with this week?
After the first week, each gathering begins with these obedience-based, accountability questions:
- Can anyone remember and share in their own words the passage we applied last week?
- Did you DO what you said you were going to do last week, and did you SHARE with the person you said you would share with?
Below are links to various Scripture resources for Discovery Groups to use, some of which have specific themes:
General Bible Discovery & Topical Series
Creation to Christ - The most widely-used Scripture set worldwide, C2C provides a Biblical worldview. Key Old and New Testament passages progressively reveal truth about God and man, and the gospel and grace of Jesus that bridge the gap of sin. This is ideal for non-believers and people from other faiths and cultures.
7 Journeys of the Spiritual Life - Designed for those who have grown up in Western culture and may identify as Christians (believers) but not fully devoted followers of Jesus (disciples/disciple-makers).
Obedience-Based Discipleship - Guide to Discovery Bible Study & 17 Scripture Lessons
Core Discovery Journeys – Spreadsheet
Topical Studies for DBS - Genesis to Jesus; Who Is Jesus?; Men, Women, Marriage, Parenting, Youth, Recovery, etc.
Discovery Journeys – Multiple DBS series (more than one spreadsheet)
Discover App – app available in English, Arabic, Somali, Dari, Pashto, Turkish and Indonesian (página web en Espanol: Descubre a Dios). The English version of the app currently has 6 series: In addition to Creation to Christ; Becoming Disciples; and Training Laborers—there are now 3 special story sets addressing the Covid-19 crisis—Stories of Hope; Signs of John; For Such a Time.
10 Stories of Hope - 10 Discovery Bible Studies
7 Stories of Hope – 7 Discovery Bible Studies
Fear & Love in the Time of Coronavirus – 4 Discovery Bible Studies
Hope During a Pandemic – YouVersion Plan
Overcoming Fear – 12 Discovery Bible Studies