Our desire is to connect people with volunteer service opportunities in the church and community based on their spiritual gifts, passions, life experiences and personality. The list below are some of the ways we have been serving. With Oakdale’s mission of taking the gospel into all of life and the commitment of sending out 1,200 disciple makers by year end 2022. With this commitment there has been a refining push to become a disciple multiplying movement. So there are many ways in which we are reaching out into the community individually with prayer walks, discipleship training and service.
Oakdale's Local Mission teams give you on the ground experiences to connect, grow, obey, and live as Christ-centered disciple-makers. Whether you’re looking for an opportunity to volunteer, donate or adopt a school, we have an outreach experience waiting for you.
Every December the generous members of our Oakdale community provide Christmas gifts for members of needy families in the Olney community. We fill gift requests from the children and we provide grocery store cards to the parents. The families are referred to Oakdale by school counselors and local assistance organizations such as Olney Help. If you would like to participate in this mission, please sign up to purchase a gift for a recipient on the Angel tree using the SignUp Genius link that is provided to the Oakdale community in November.
- Men (not currently serving here)
- Women (Dinners from July to December are needed) - Interfaith Works Women’s Center (IWWC), located in Rockville, is an organization that provides homeless women short-term housing, meals, clothing, vocational programs, medical and mental health referrals, and connection to social services benefits and housing programs. On the fourth Tuesday of each month, Oakdale volunteers prepare dinner for 35 women residing at IWWC. Currently, we ask volunteers to deliver their food to Oakdale at 4:30 pm on the day of the dinner. If you or your small group would like to provide dinner for these women, please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c094baca728abf5ce9-womens#/
Volunteers prepare one of the following for 35 women guests:
2. Side dish: starch (i.e. mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese)
3. Side dish: vegetable (i.e. salad, cooked vegetable)
4. Dessert and beverage
If you or your small group would like to support these homeless women, please see the SignUp Genius using the link below sign up to provide a meal item: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c094baca728abf5ce9-womens#/
- Fisher House (March Through December Needed) - Fisher House Foundation is an organization that provides housing free of charge to military families who have a loved one in the hospital. Oakdale volunteers provide a complete dinner (i.e., entrée, two side dishes and dessert) for 8 – 10 residents of the Fisher House Annex in Forest Glenn on the first Monday of each month. Volunteers can either deliver the meal to the Fisher House or they bring it to the church at 4:30 on the day of the meal. To participate in this ministry please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4bacab2ba2f85-20221
- Shepherd's Table - Learn more.
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY
Not all groups offer childcare, but there are options available. We never want childcare to be a roadblock to your spiritual growth so make sure to let us know if you would like to join a group with childcare. Some groups will have participants share responsibility in watching the children, split the cost for a sitter, or make other arrangements. Learn more.
HOUSE OF HOPE- MARYLAND
There is no fee to join a group - just the cost of whatever study the group is reading. We never want finances to be a roadblock for someone's spiritual growth so we offer scholarships for anyone that is in need. All of this is worked out through your small group leader and is kept confidential. Learn more.
LINKAGES TO LEARNING
Our Access Groups typically meet on our church campus but our other groups meet in homes, restaurants, and coffee shops all across the greater Olney area. We will help you find a group near you based on your interest. Learn more.
Olney Help has been serving families in need for over 50 years. There is a donation bin in the donation/mail room in the lobby at the back of the sanctuary to leave canned food items. Please visit oakdale.church/olney-help for the most up to date list of needed items.
- Harmony Hills Elementary - These groups are short term and have a specific subject focus. Their goal is to give people a taste of what group life is all about and to hopefully move those people towards a Small Group or a Learn more.
- Cornerstone School - These groups are long term and study driven. Here is where you continue to grow in your knowledge of God's Word with goal of moving people towards a Thrive Group or for the entire group to transform into a Thrive Group. Learn more.