Our desire is to connect people with volunteer service opportunities in the church and community based on their spiritual gifts, passions, life experiences and personality. The list below are some of the ways we have been serving. With Oakdale’s mission of taking the gospel into all of life and the commitment of sending out 1,200 disciple makers by year end 2022. With this commitment there has been a refining push to become a disciple multiplying movement. So there are many ways in which we are reaching out into the community individually with prayer walks, discipleship training and service.
Oakdale's Local Mission teams give you on the ground experiences to connect, grow, obey, and live as Christ-centered disciple-makers. Whether you’re looking for an opportunity to volunteer, donate or adopt a school, we have an outreach experience waiting for you.
Every December the generous members of our Oakdale community provide Christmas gifts for members of needy families in the Olney community. We fill gift requests from the children and we provide grocery store cards to the parents. The families are referred to Oakdale by school counselors and local assistance organizations such as Olney Help. If you would like to participate in this mission, please sign up to purchase a gift for a recipient on the Angel tree using the SignUp Genius link that is provided to the Oakdale community in November.
- Men (not currently serving here)
- Women (Dinners from July to December are needed) - Interfaith Works Women’s Center (IWWC), located in Rockville, is an organization that provides homeless women short-term housing, meals, clothing, vocational programs, medical and mental health referrals, and connection to social services benefits and housing programs. On the fourth Tuesday of each month, Oakdale volunteers prepare dinner for 35 women residing at IWWC. Currently, we ask volunteers to deliver their food to Oakdale at 4:30 pm on the day of the dinner. If you or your small group would like to provide dinner for these women, please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c094baca728abf5ce9-womens#/
Volunteers prepare one of the following for 35 women guests:
2. Side dish: starch (i.e. mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese)
3. Side dish: vegetable (i.e. salad, cooked vegetable)
4. Dessert and beverage
If you or your small group would like to support these homeless women, please see the SignUp Genius using the link below sign up to provide a meal item: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c094baca728abf5ce9-womens#/
- Fisher House (March Through December Needed) - Fisher House Foundation is an organization that provides housing free of charge to military families who have a loved one in the hospital. Oakdale volunteers provide a complete dinner (i.e., entrée, two side dishes and dessert) for 8 – 10 residents of the Fisher House Annex in Forest Glenn on the first Monday of each month. Volunteers can either deliver the meal to the Fisher House or they bring it to the church at 4:30 on the day of the meal. To participate in this ministry please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4bacab2ba2f85-20221
- Shepherd's Table - Learn more.
HOUSE OF HOPE- MARYLAND
Hose of Hope has the vision is to see restored teens and families across Maryland. Their mission is to offer hope, healing, and fulfillment to hurting teens through structured education, Christian counseling, and spiritual guidance in a safe and nurturing environment. Learn more.
Olney Help has been serving families in need for over 50 years. There is a donation bin in the donation/mail room in the lobby at the back of the sanctuary to leave canned food items. Please visit oakdale.church/olney-help for the most up to date list of needed items.